We love sheep here at Cardtoons and the Swaledale breed is one of our favourites because they are named after the nearby valley of Swaledale in the Yorkshire Dales.
As with Herdwick sheep, there are some interesting facts we bet you don't know about this lovely breed.
- Yorkshire’s famous Swaledale wool is coarse and tough which is perfect for making carpets. The wool is a thick, hill type and is off-white in colour.
- Both male and female Swaledale sheep are horned with distinctive curled horns around their ears.
- The Swaledale breed is well known for being a bold, hardy sheep, perfectly well fitted to endure the hardships of exposed and high lying hillsides especially in the north of England.
- The female ewes proved to be excellent mothers, with ideal lamb rearing abilities in all weather conditions be it snow, hail or rain.
- Despite having a black face, like humans their black fur turns grey with old age.
If you're now a fan of our favourite Swaledale, we have Swaledale related products which you can browse on our online shop by clicking here.
If you enjoyed this article, please share thank you!